Unlock the full potential of your Microsoft 365 subscription by creating a personalized email address associated with your Outlook.com mailbox. This guide walks you through the steps to set up a custom email address, ensuring you make the most of this premium feature.
Accessing Premium Features in Outlook.com
To initiate the process, navigate to your premium feature settings in Outlook.com. Under "Custom Email Address," select "Introduction" to kickstart the configuration. If you are a Microsoft 365 Family subscriber, note that those you share the subscription with can also establish their custom email addresses with the connected domain.
Frequently Asked Questions
Automatic Email Delivery
- Yes, all your emails automatically land in the same Outlook.com inbox, regardless of the specific custom email address used.
Setting Default "From" Address
- While not automatic, you can designate your custom email address as the default "From" address. Access your Outlook.com email alias settings to choose the default address from the available options.
Microsoft 365 Subscription Requirement
- Subscribers of Microsoft 365 can qualify for setting up a custom email address. Please be aware that this feature might not be accessible via mobile web browsers.
Configuring Default "From" Address
- When you create a new custom email address, it becomes the default "From" address for all your email messages. Adjust this setting in your Outlook.com email alias settings.
Adding Custom Email with GoDaddy
- To integrate a custom email address with GoDaddy, you'll need to invest in a Microsoft 365 Email product. Ensure you have a domain, or acquire one from GoDaddy, before proceeding.
Multiple Aliases in a Single Mailbox
- Unfortunately, creating multiple aliases in a single mailbox with your domain is not feasible. Consider opting for a Microsoft 365 Business Basic subscription for such requirements.
Subscription Cancellation Implications
- If you cancel your Microsoft 365 subscription, you lose the ability to send or receive emails using your custom email address on Outlook.com. However, existing emails remain accessible. As long as your GoDaddy domain payment is active, you can reactivate your custom email address by resubscribing to Microsoft 365.
Unique Email Addresses for Different Microsoft 365 Accounts
- It's not possible to use the same email address for a Microsoft 365 business account and a consumer account. Separate email addresses are required for each.
Consequences of Canceling Domain with GoDaddy
- Cancelling your GoDaddy domain means losing the ability to use your custom email address on Outlook.com. However, existing emails are retained. You retain ownership of the domain and can set up a website or transfer it to another registrar.
Support Limitation to GoDaddy Domains
- Currently, Outlook.com only supports connection to domains managed by GoDaddy.
Shared Microsoft 365 Family Subscription
- If you share a Microsoft 365 Family subscription and have a connected domain, others sharing the subscription can set up their custom email addresses. Removing the domain or canceling the subscription affects their ability to send or receive emails using your custom email address.
Risks of Domain Registration Inactivity
- Failure to keep your domain registration active may result in losing ownership. The registrar could sell your domain to another buyer, leading to the potential compromise of associated email addresses.
Lack of DKIM or DMARC Support
- Currently, Outlook.com does not support DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) or Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMARC).
Checking Domain Connection Status
- Access "Premium > Custom Email Address" to review your domain's status. If not visible, follow steps to connect it successfully, especially if using GoDaddy.
Addressing Alias Addition Errors
- If encountering errors during alias addition, review and manage existing aliases through . Follow the outlined steps to resolve any conflicts.
Domain Connectivity Troubleshooting
- Check for domain connection issues with GoDaddy. Follow the outlined steps to address potential problems and ensure successful domain connection.
Empower your email communication by taking full advantage of the custom email address feature in Microsoft 365. This comprehensive guide addresses common queries, subscription implications, domain-related concerns, technical limitations, and provides troubleshooting steps to ensure a seamless setup and usage experience.
For detailed step-by-step instructions, refer to the .